(makes 1 large jar)
Cost of ingredients in May 2020: Approximately R18 for 500ml
- 250g pack of pitted dates
- boiling water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Open the pack of dates and break it up into pieces. Put the pieces into a food processor or tall Nutribullet cup and pour boiling water over it (just enough to cover the date pieces so that the dates soften).
- Leave to cool.
- Add the lemon juice and cinnamon and blitz in the Nutribullet. Pour into a large glass jar and keep in the fridge.
- Suggested ways to enjoy your date syrup:Add a spoonful to cereal, porridge or yogurt to sweeten. Use instead of honey or jam on your favourite bread or use as an alternative to sugar to sweeten treats when baking.