Cost of ingredients in June 2020: Approximately R60 for the pot of soup or R10 per person
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic puree or garlic flakes
- a pinch or 2 of dried chilli flakes (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 5ml dried coriander or approximately 2tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 30ml/2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 1 x 420g tin butter beans, drained
- 1 x 420g tin whole kernel corn, drained (or a tin a baked beans will do the trick if you are on a tight budget)
- 1 x 420g tin chickpeas, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
(using a soup pot on the stove)
- Heat the oil on a low heat in a large pot. Saute onion, garlic, chilli & coriander until the onion is tender.
- Add tomato puree to the stock and stir, then add to the pot. Add tinned tomatoes and beans stirring until warmed through. Season to taste. Cover and cook for up to 2 hours on a low heat.
- Any beans can be used. If you prefer to cook the beans yourself rather than use canned beans, follow the instructions on the packet by letting them soak overnight. Then cook the beans first before adding them to the recipe above (remember to drain off the water before adding to the soup).
- Remember that being fit and healthy is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise and that Liviya Nutrition and Fitness is here to guide you – every step of the way.