Cost of ingredients in June 2020: Approximately R26 for 4 burgers or R6.50 per patty
- 1 x 420g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 x small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 x garlic clove, chopped or 1 tsp crushed garlic
- A handful of parsley
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp harissa paste or chilli powder
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut or sunflower oil for frying
- Serve with toasted pita bread (or hamburger rolls), tomato salsa (see recipe below) and green salad
- Drain the tin of chickpeas and pour all the ingredients into a food processor. Blend until fairly smooth, then shape into four patties with your hands. If the mixture is too stiff to blend easily, add a bit of oil and water. The patties can be chunky too, so if you don’t have a food processor, you can mash the chickpeas with a fork and then add the other ingredients to it.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the burgers for approximately 3 mins on each side or until lightly golden brown.
- Serve with toasted pitta bread, tomato salsa and green salad. You can even add hummus too! (see the recipe on Facebook and Instagram last week)