Sosaties (or kebabs) are healthy, fun and easy to make – and eat! There are many variations, but the important stuff to note is to use a marinade (homemade is healthier) and lots of fruit and veg. Any lean meat can be used, or skip the meat to make it Vegan.
Here’s our favourite recipe: (serves 6)
Cost of ingredients in March 2021: Approximately R20 per person
- Approximately 1kg lean meat, cubed
- 1 pineapple, cleaned and cubed
- 50 g dried apricots
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 red pepper, cut into bite size pieces
For the marinade
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup apricot jam (dissolved in a little bit of boiling water)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp spices (we used Robertson’s vegetable spice)
- 1 tbsp brown vinegar
12 wooden or metal skewers
- Skewer the ingredients, alternating between the meat, onion, pineapple, peppers and apricots.
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a large flat dish. Place the sosaties in the marinade and allow to stand in the fridge for approximately 2 hours. Turn the sosaties now and again to ensure that all the pieces are covered in marinade.
- Braai (or barbeque) on a grid over a medium heat. Baste the sosaties with the remaining marinade and turn them over to ensure that the meat is thoroughly cooked.
- We served ours with a green salad and mashed potato.